In this mind-bending new novel from highly acclaimed author Arwen Elys Dayton the future is curious. Today we try to perfect our bodies by coloring our hair, getting tattoos, working out, dieting, etc. But how far will go to reach perfection in the future?
Arwen Elys Dayton put together a list of writing prompts that ask us that very question. What is YOUR version of the future? Pick a prompt and share your story!
1. Imagine that you live in a world where it’s possible to modify the human body. Describe yourself and your three closest friends.
2. What would a typical day be like for the four of you? How would it be different from your life now?
3. Suppose the four of you had to set off across the country in search of others with similar modifications. Describe your journey and how your modified bodies change the experience of travel.
4. In a world where anyone can change themselves, how will our idea of beauty change? Will we appreciate more variety in the appearance of humans, or will we begin to think certain modified traits are necessary in order to appear attractive? Will we pay less attention to how people look and more attention to things like sense of humor and friendliness?
5. Genetic modification won’t just be for humans, of course. The animal kingdom could be edited, too. Today we have designer dogs, which we created through selective breeding. What will the designer pets of tomorrow be, when we can edit DNA?
6. Imagine that some of those pets escape into the wild. What might happen, both to the pets themselves and to the creatures in the wild.
7. If it was up to you to make an improvement to an animal species, which one would you change and why? Describe the new version of this creature.
8. Drawing on your ideas from the earlier questions, write a short story about your first day in the future world: maybe the first day at a new school, in a new town, on a new team, or with your newly modified body.
Lucian_HodobocDec 12, 2018
These are some pretty cool writing prompts! ???? The first four remind me of Scott Westerfeld’s “Uglies” series.
TanyaJul 7, 2019