We’ve all been there: it’s early in the morning and you’re in the car with your family, settling in for a long drive. While part of you is excited to get to your destination, as a reader there’s another part of you dreading the trip. To help you out, we put together a list items every reader could use to make such experiences much easier to enjoy.
1. A Cozy Blanket: Make yourself comfortable! There’s nothing better than snuggling up with a blanket and book. As long as you have no one sitting behind you, you can also recline the seat and get some good reading time in.
2. A Warm Beverage: With something hot to sip, every reading experience can be dramatically enhanced. Luckily for you, there’s always plenty of opportunities to pick up something good on the road.
3. A Clip-On Reading Light: These are mostly ideal for when the trip goes into the late hours. While everyone else is sleeping, you can click on the small light and keep on keeping on.
4. Noise-Canceling Headphones: These aren’t for everyone, but they can be great when everyone else is playing loud music or video games with the volume turned up. With a pair of these over your ears, you’ll be able to stay entranced in the world you’re reading about.
5. Loose, Comfy Clothes: No one wants to feel constricted in their clothes when they’re trying to figure out whodunit or why the mistress is evil. Pajamas or loose clothing are the way to go for a reading session, especially in the car.
6. Motion Sickness Medication: Look, sometimes we get carsick! Some emergency motion sickness medication can be a lifesaver.
7. Extra Books: You never know how quickly you’re going to blow through the pages of a book. It’s always a good idea to have some backups ready to go in case you hit traffic.
8. Something Else to Do During a Break: Sometimes long trips are just, well, long. Reading is the best, but when there are hours ahead of you, it can be refreshing to have something else to hold your attention, at least for a short time, until you’re ready to get back to reading.