It’s basically a scientific fact that drinking out of a cute mug makes everything taste better, especially during the winter!
With that in mind, we put together this customized mug DIY. Make one to pair with your all of your favorite books!
What you’ll need:
- A ceramic or porcelain mug
- Sharpie oil-based paint pens
- Rubbing alcohol
- Nail polish remover works, too!
- Q-tips and cotton balls
Here’s what you do:
1. Clean the surface of your mug with an alcohol-soaked cotton ball, and remove any price stickers or labels (you don’t want those to burn in the oven!).
2. Plan out your design on a piece of paper. You can draw cool designs, sketch a portrait of someone, or use a quote that really speaks to you.
*A word to the wise, the colors may change once the mug has been baked, so don’t be surprised if your design looks a bit different when it comes out of the oven.
3. When you’re happy with your design, draw it out on your mug with the Sharpie paint pens. If you make a mistake, you can erase it with an alcohol-dampened cotton ball or Q-tip!
4. Wait. Yep, you need to wait about 3 days (72 hours) for the paint to really dry so your design doesn’t wash away.
5. Once the waiting’s done, it’s time to bake!
6. Place your mug on a foil-lined baking sheet, and place it in the oven before you turn it on. Turn the oven to 425° and set a timer for 1 hour.
7. When the hour is up, turn the oven off, and let the mug cool inside the oven (this may take a little while). This process is the best way to make sure that your design stays on your mug where it belongs!
When your mug is cooled, it’s ready for use! Add your favorite beverage (and a donut or two) and enjoy.
*Be extra careful with these babies—keep ‘em out of the dishwasher and wash them by hand.