The only thing better than reading holiday stories is writing them.
To get your creative juices pumping and start thinking about all things merry and bright, we’ve put together ten holiday writing prompts. Use them to write stories, journal entries, or anything that strikes your fancy. And don’t forget to share your creations with the Underlined writing community!
Are you ready to get started? Bust out the hot chocolate and candy canes (and your computer), and start writing your own holiday story!
1. Imagine you have no one to spend the holiday season with. Write about what you would do to fill that time.
2. Write a meet-cute about two people who fall in love over the winter break.
3. You receive a mysterious, life-changing holiday gift in the mail. Write a story about what happens when you open it.
4. What is your most embarrassing moment? Reimagine it taking place during the holidays.
5. Write about getting snowed in with your crush. Do they know you’re into them? Are they into you?
6. Imagine you find out you are on the naughty list. Write about what you would do to try to persuade Santa of your goodness before it’s too late.
7. Put a historical spin on your holiday celebrations. When and where are you living? What traditions do you have in that time and place?
8. Write a short story from the point of view of a Christmas tree. Who buys you, and what do you see during your time with them?
9. Detail your perfect winter evening. Are you alone or with someone? What things do you do?
10. After a heavy snowfall, you notice a single set of footprints heading into the woods and decide to follow them. Write a story about what happens.